The Film Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to film preservation and education, is aligned with the Directors Guild of America. The foundation is dedicated to protecting and preserving motion picture history and is at the forefront in raising awareness of the issue within the industry and the public at large. By providing substantial annual support for projects at the major film archives, TFF has helped save over 555 films. Joining founder and chair Martin Scorsese on the board of directors are: Woody Allen, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Francis Ford Coppola, Clint Eastwood, Curtis Hanson, Peter Jackson, Ang Lee, George Lucas, Alexander Payne, Robert Redford and Steven Spielberg.
In addition, The Film Foundation creates and distributes the innovative educational program The Story of Movies, an interdisciplinary curriculum designed to teach students how to "read" film; sharpen their critical-thinking and critical-viewing skills; and learn about the cultural, artistic, and historical significance of film. The program is distributed free of charge to over 38,000 middle and high school educators, reaching millions of students nationwide. For more information on The Film Foundation, please contact 323-436-5060 (Los Angeles) and 212-258-0860 (New York) or visit www.film-foundation.org
Image from LA DOLCE VITA (1960, d. Federico Fellini).
Restored by Cineteca di Bologna at L’Immagine Ritrovata Laboratory in association with The Film Foundation, Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia-Cineteca, Nazionale, Pathé, Fondation Jérôme Seydoux-Pathé, Mediaset-Medusa, Paramount Pictures and Cinecittà Luce. Restoration funding provided by Gucci and The Film Foundation.
Image from THE RED SHOES (1951, d. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger).
Restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive in association with the BFI, The Film Foundation, ITV Studios, Global Entertainment Ltd., and Janus Films. Restoration funding provided by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the Film Foundation, and the Louis B. Mayer Foundation.
Before & After Restoration Images from PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (1951, d. Albert Lewin).
Restored by George Eastman House in cooperation with The Douris Corporation.Restoration funding provided by generous grants from the Rome Film Festival and the Franco-American Cultural Fund, a partner¬ship between the Directors Guild of America (DGA); Société des Auteurs, Compositeurs et Editeurs de Musique (SACEM); the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA); and the Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW)Photo courtesy of Douris Corporation and Cineric.