On April 16, more than 30 directors were introduced to executives of episodic television series during the Eastern Diversity Steering Committee’s (EDSC) 2012 Showrunners Event. Held at the Guild's New York offices, the invitation-only event brought together qualified female directors and directors of color with show-running directors, producers and UPMS from episodic television series shooting in the New York City area.
The event began with an informal cocktail reception that allowed the directors and showrunners to network on the DGA’s rooftop patio in Manhattan. Then EDSC Co-Chair Zetna Fuentes and DGA Business Representative Rebecca Blum addressed the gathering and spoke about the Guild's ongoing initiative to improve diversity in industry hiring practices by events such as this. Afterwards the DGA members were able to sign up for personal one-on-one interview sessions with a stellar combination of showrunners that featured:
- Producer/Director Jerry Kupfer from the NBC sitcom 30 Rock
- Producer/UPM Michele Armour and Coordinating Producer Michael Cargill from the TBS sitcom Are We There Yet?
- Director/Executive Producer Tim Van Patten and Co-Executive Producer Gene Kelly from the HBO drama Boardwalk Empire
- Executive Producer Daniel Zelman from the FX Network drama Damages
- Producer/UPM Kathy Ciric from the USA network comedy/drama Royal Pains
- Director Nadine Zylstra and Coordinating Producer April Coleman from the PBS educational series Sesame Street
- Director/ Co-Executive Producer Jeff King from the USA network comedy/drama White Collar